An elite of cultural carriers
The most important donators of art to Uppsala University’s first art museum belonged to the same elite of cultural carriers who were also involved in the founding of the National Museum in Stockholm.
Baron Adolf Ludvig Stjerneld’s donation in 1835 contains among other things a work depicting the Royal Castle ”Tre Kronor” in the 17th century, attributed to the Dutchman Govert Camphuysen (UU 67). The Castle burned down in 1697 and the painting, which is one of the few reproductions of the building, provides important information on its appearance.
General Major Karl Hård av Segerstad’s donation in 1840 was referred to as ”the beginning of an art museum”. The most important work in this donation is Pieter Aertsen’s “The Meat Stall” (”Slaktarbod”) from 1551 (UU 1). The painting can be said to herald Dutch still life painting which was developed during the 16th century and which combined biblical scenes and worldly motifs.
Professor Johan Henrik Schröder’s donation contains several examples of Italian and North European Renaissance art. Among these can be mentioned an anonymous Flemish master, the Master of the Female Half-Lengths, who succeeded Joachim Patinir. Two works from this 16th century master, among others a landscape with scenes from John the Baptist's life are included in the donation (UU 294).
A later donation, which was incorporated into the art-study collection, is merchant Claes Livijn’s donation from 1938. Above all, this contains Italian and Flemish 17th-century paintings. An important example of Dutch still life painting is ” Kitchen interior with a Woman Scaling Fish”, (“Köksinteriör”) by Floris van Schooten (UU 797).